Thursday, October 9, 2008

Falling For Jesus

The Rocky Mountain wind of Colorado brushed through my hair as my brother Charles and I walked the trail that leads to the back side of the church. Autumn had come on time the year of 1997. Dad’s car broke down the week before, and once again, we were forced to walk the two miles to church on our own for youth group. At 15 years of age, one would have thought I was mad at God for the loss of transportation, but I did not mind considering the yellows, oranges, and browns the leaves reflected as the sun shone during its setting.

“Charles, come here.” I called after my older brother as we skirted our shoes in the dirt.

“What do you want?” he replied.

“I was just thinking, this whole year I have not seen any ducks along this river. Even when I was in England on my mission’s trip, all we saw were swans.”

“What does that have to do with anything?” he asked.

“Everything, I love the outdoors, and this whole time I have been outside, I have not seen one animal that even resembles it.” I replied.

“Who cares?” Charles said as he shrugged his shoulders while turning his head.

“I do, and all I have asked God for this whole year is to see a duck. Does He not even care about that one simple thing?” I shouted out loud hoping the whole world heard.

Washing in the midst of rocks, sticks, and brush was a small stream that followed the trail for dozens of miles; also known as the “High Line Canal”, its beauty and nature reach even into the deepest of neighborhoods.

As Charles ran ahead to the small bridge, I decided to slow down and watch a Monarch butterfly flutter around for a few minutes. Running to catch up, I heard a small and quiet sound. “Quack”.

I called ahead, “What was that Charles?”

“What?” he replied.

“Nothing”, I said as I crossed over the bridge.

“Quack, Quack”.

“There it is again, Charles, are you making fun of me?” I asked turning around.

“No, look over there”, he said pointing to a small animal sitting under a tree by itself.

“What is that?” I spoke to myself leaning over the wooden rail. Squinting my eyes, I saw a male wood duck, squatting alone, under the shade of a pine tree quacking as if to say, “See, look what God can do.”

That moment is forever frozen in my heart and mind. Not just for the fact that God is faithful in the big, but that He is faithful in the small things as well. God showed me His simple, joyous love in a simple way. The smallest things in my life are the biggest to Him. Since I am His daughter, His desire is for me is to be filled with love, joy and peace.

The year I had turned 15 was one of my hardest years of life. My family was in dire financial need, and I was trying to think of everything I could to make extra money. Feeling that I was alone, I looked for something I always knew that could be found, a duck. Feeding birds in the park was a huge stress reliever for me. Not seeing any that year, put doubt in my heart that God was even thinking of me.

Proverbs 3:5-6 from the New King James Version states:

“Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, and lean not on your own understanding, in all of your ways acknowledge Him, and He will keep your paths straight.”

The autumn of 1997, I fell into His arms of love and trust, and never again fell out or got off of His path. He truly is a God of love.
Thanks!!
Jessica Smith

3 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Only God can provide the "ducks" we need. Praise Him for revealing His precious presence to you through the quack of a duck. He is a Mighty God, indeed!

Stonefox said...

God is so great! He shows up just when we need to know He is there. This is a great post.

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful story, a testimony to His ever listening heart that longs to give us what we need.